Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ice Skating


I have this idea in my head
And I can't quite get it out
About how delightful it would be
On this cold and clear winter's day
To hike up to Smith Lake
About a mile or so
Put on a pair of skates
And glide the afternoon away.

We would leave about 10 a.m.
With a picnic and a thermos in hand.
Together we would have the loveliest of days.

In my head the ice is thick and smooth
No chance of a crack in the ice or a fall on my bum.
I would gracefully glide around and around,
Twirling when I fancy and going backwards too.

I have told Tom my idea every day now for the last week or so
And he smiles and says he likes the thought too.

But the problem lies in that it is very cold outside
And it is really quite blustery now
And I don't like to skate, because
The inevitable fall quite drives me away
And I don't have skates and neither does Tom
And yes, the excuses go on and on.

There is a certain enchantment
In things not experienced before.
Some we figure out and turn into adventure
But this one, I think is best left to my daydreams.

1 comment:

  1. Dream on, my dear.
    It is good for the soul as
    long as some dreams can
    become a reality with the
    one that you love.

    ReplyDelete