Saturday, August 27, 2011

Shoulda, Coulda and Woulda

Last night I let Shoulda, Coulda and Woulda
In our front door.
They have not visited in awhile and
I thought they might be gone.
I know better than to let them through,
But still, I did it anyway.

At the old house and before Tom,
They knew how to sneak in
But here, now,
They find us late at night.
One knock at the door and they are in.
If Tom sees them first,
He shoos them away,
But I see how lonely and pathetic they seem
And like poor little creatures
I can hardly turn them away.

The problem is
I can't help them and they won't let me sleep.
Try as I might to keep them out
They come into our room.
They don't bother Tom, but jump all over me
Poking and prodding,
Waking up old thoughts and actions
Best left alone.
For I could not change them
And most likely wouldn't anyway.

A general nuisance they are,
I must say.

Then, in the morning,
My mind has gone all swirly
And my head is somewhere
In a restless muddle,
Not a good place for me to be.

And the visitors are off, at least
Two of the three
Without a thank you or acknowledgement
Of how kind I have been
To let them in, out of the dark.

No more.  Go away.
You have had your chance,
But are no longer welcome in our home.

So now at night,
If you come to our door
Expect three barking dogs
An unhappy husband
And a kick in the pants
To send you on your way.

We hope this won't mean that they
Will be at your doorstep instead,
But it's a risk we must take.

And, Ifonly, in case you are wondering,
These new rules apply also you!

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for that husband and those dogs and your new determination. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. We look forward to being on your doorstep soon! Promise not to bring these characters along... Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete