Tuesday, March 8, 2011

They Say


I made a woman cry once
And I am not proud of it.
I would say I am sorry if I could
But it was long ago and I
Don’t even remember her name.

She sat at our table and made
All sorts of statements.
Big ones, about her beliefs.

And my point,
While perhaps valid,
Was not very smooth.

Why do you believe this?
What do you mean?

And those things that she held
So strong and so hard
She really had no idea
About them.

Perhaps she had heard it once
Or twice, but clearly had never
Thought through it.

And I’m sure that there are
Times when I make a statement
With no backup beyond that
Frightful "they say".
It’s not how I want it, however.

I’d rather talk and hear
Of thoughts and ideas not
Declarations of this or of that.
And when I feel strongly or have
An opinion, I want to know why I
Believe it that way
And listen.

So I’m sorry dear lady
Of my actions that day
And I hope that you will forgive me

But I have learned both of others
And of myself,
A lesson learned a hard way.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you - a well thought out statement and confession which we could all consider carefully.

    ReplyDelete