Friday, April 22, 2011

Ode to Skeena

You put her on a leash they said?
It can't be done.
I didn't want to have to tell Steve
Lying on a hospital bed
That I lost his dog

So we waited to trust each other
Skeena Peena, where are you
Hiding under the desk upstairs
Skeena Peena, where are you
Tucked under the kitchen table
Skeena Peean, where are you
Waiting at the front gate
To go for a run

The leash now is in the past
She runs and runs
Through the culverts
Disappearing until she
Reaches the other side of the street
Chasing after bumblebees
She leaps in the air
Scouting after bunnies and birds
She scooches under fences
Not catching that I can see
But having a great time
I can hear the water splash in the
Wet fields
She is a mess of mud and dirt
Oh Skeena, you make me smile


No comments:

Post a Comment