Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hollyhocks




I have been so excited about
The hollyhocks that were planted
Along the side of the house.
I saw the last of them in the fall
And I smiled with glee.
I've tried to grow them before
And both of my neighbors too,
But to no avail.
Here, it looked like I could.

The stems were the first to show
Their green early this spring.
Quickly they grew tall and bushy
With their lovely large leaves.
And the flower buds became many.

Each day I have been checking
Are they here yet?
Are they here,
These favorite flowers of mine.
And yesterday,
When I was not expecting it
There, under a leaf, was the first pink bloom.
And today, two more may open.

Sometimes it surprises me
How much joy 
Such a small thing can bring.
I think I'll go out and check them again.
(Yes, two more have opened.)

No comments:

Post a Comment