Monday, October 17, 2011

The Pens

I am thinking that I will leave my thoughts on Liberia, until after the presidential election results are announced on October 26.


He wanted the pens
Oh so very much
I told him I would give them to him
At the end.

They were mine.
I brought them.
I chose each one like
A child in a candy store.
All sorts of flavors
All sorts of textures.
Really, now I wanted them too.

He liked to draw.
He like to write.
He watched those pens.
I began to also.
They were colorful
And there were many.

Not today, I have work to do.
Not tomorrow, there is more to do.
Yes, I will give them to you.
I will keep my word.

Please stop asking.
Please stop asking.
PLEASE STOP ASKING.

It is 5 a.m.
There is a knock at my door.
May I have the pens please?
You said I could take them today.

Yes you may.
Here they are.

A result of broken promises?
I keep my word.

2 comments:

  1. If we only knew their stories, we would release our "pens" without reluctance I am coming to realize.

    ReplyDelete