Friday, February 25, 2011

Seedling Thoughts


Something happens in the middle of February
And it takes place most every year
Thoughts of spring and warmth
New growth and brown ground
Come bounding through my head
And I am ready for winter to be over.

Now usually it is winter's fault
For the signs of my unrest
When each year spring comes through
For a week or two giving us a taste
Of the new season to come.

The problem is that winter
Has come back with a vengeance
Giving us a white wonderland
But my mind is in the ground
And seeds are springing forth.

For this year I get to have a garden
And I’ve had thoughts of it all winter long.
I want to start slowly
To see if it suits me and our ground.
We’ve come up with a spot
Lots of sun, not too hard to water

And I’ve asked questions of friends
Whose gardens I have long admired.
If you start with four items
What are the best?

Lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes
Oh, and some beans would be lovely, too.

So this week, when I was distracted
I treated myself to a stop at our nursery
Eric, the owner took great interest in my quest.
We found all of the above plus herbs, beets and carrots.
Then we went through each packet
On when to plant and how. 

Tomatoes I get to start in a week or so inside.
The rest start right in the garden.
Beets and carrots in April and the rest must wait
Until no chance of frost, to me a long way away.

I am always surprised and amazed
At the growth in spring
And even what grows wild in our garden,
I’m quite possessive of.
Look, it grew here, just for me.

So I'm hoping for a bit of bounty from
My new endeavor
I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. My seedling thoughts are about the tastes that will come our way when we visit next summer and the bounty of your garden reaches your kitchen and then your table.

    ReplyDelete